Siesta Fiesta Video

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Counting My Blessings

God gave me the privilege of helping with Special Olympics today. It was such a blessing! There was one girl that walked with the aid of a walker with a seat, kind of like for heart patients. She had just gotten her face painted. As she was walking by the podium where I was giving out their ribbons, she asked if I could guess what animal she was. I said a tiger. She responded, "Yep, I am a ferocious animal can you tell?" We both laughed. It was so sweet. She was having the time of her life.

There was a girl that normally would walk with a cane. But, when it came time to run her race, she dropped that cane and ran with all of her might. She finished first. She had a smile on her face that beamed from ear to ear. When she came to the podium, she had commented that she decided that she didn't need her cane for the race because God would help her with each step. She also commented that she was very proud of herself. And, you know what? She should be!

There were countless other precious people and their families and a host of volunteers there to make the day special for everyone. There were policemen, firemen, various other city employees, high school kids, and soldiers lining up to be a "buddy" to each one of the athletes as we were unloading the busses. These volunteers would take their "buddies" everywhere they needed or wanted to go. The were compassionate and caring. There were T-shirts that people were wearing that boasted that EVERY life is special. And you know what? That is exactly right. Every life is special.

In my building at work, there are many offices and many rooms. Mine is a two-person office. I have the privilege of sharing it with a man who has a special-needs child. You see, after 6 miscarriages, he and his wife were finally able to conceive and deliver a child. This particular child has Down's Syndrome. He is confined to a wheel chair, and has recently started recovering from two different surgeries where they had to go in and break and reset both hips.

You see, my co-worker is living in a world that has been so foreign to me. I am ashamed to say that I have never really thought about what it would be like for a child, or the parents, to face some of the difficulties that they do. Just through observing him and observing the way he interacts with his child will melt your heart. He has learned a level of compassion that I never knew existed. He interacts with his child much in the same way as I picture Jesus did with everyone He encountered so many years ago when He walked this earth... and continues to do today. Such a blessing.

I am ashamed at how much I take for granted the way that God has so richly blessed me and my family. Lord please forgive me. I thank You for all that You have done for me and my family.

Today was a huge reality check for me.

Lord, You made these bodies of ours. You are the Creator. You know why You allow different challenges to occur in these bodies. You also know whom You can trust with these special needs. Lord I pray that You would touch each body that was there competing today. I pray that You pour Your blessings out on them and their families. They play with all of their might. They also love with all of their might. Please bless them and protect them. Thank You for letting me see briefly through Your eyes today.

In Jesus' precious name I pray,
Amen.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Oh, Terri, what a sweet post. Thank-you for sharing about your day, your co-worker and all you are learning!


Sounds like the Special Olympics were really special for the kids and for you.

Karen